I’ve been on a HUGE taco kick recently! I made my Quinoa and Adzuki Bean Tacos twice last week and my husband and I can’t stop going to Digg’s Taco Shop, our new favorite haunt. They have the best vegetarian tacos!!
I saw a recipe for raw tacos not too long ago here and, although they looked awesome, I was a little skeptical about trying them. Well, last night when I was pondering what to make for dinner, nothing sounded good, which Is unusual for me because typically everything sounds good! I started looking through cookbooks and searching through my massive archives of the recipes that I’ve saved and nothing was inspiring me. Until I remembered those raw tacos.
By that point, looking at pictures of food had made me so hungry that I wanted to just throw something together in a hurry so I settled on the raw tacos. Besides, raw often equals fast, right? No cooking means you’re eating sooner and I always love the sound of that. Not to mention, the temperatures have already reached (and surpassed) 100 degrees here in Dallas, so a piping-hot meal just doesn’t sound very appetizing.
Fortunately, in this case, raw did mean fast. It took me maybe 20 minutes to get everything ready, including time to take pictures of the food, and the tacos were done. Not only that, they were AMAZING!! I couldn’t believe how insanely good these tacos were!
I also made a huge batch of raw salsa for the tacos. I ended up eating half of the salsa with a spoon straight from the bowl! Thankfully, I have enough left over that I plan on putting some on my salad for lunch today and saving the rest to make tacos again tonight. Yes, the tacos were that good.
I can already tell I will be making this dish a bunch over the Summer. I know eating raw tacos sounds like a crazy concept–trust me, I was pretty skeptical, too–but these are so much better than I could have ever imagined!! So delicious, in fact, that I’ll be making these healthy, light tacos from this point on when those nagging taco cravings strike.
- ~~For the taco “meat”:
- 1 cup walnuts (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
- 1 Tbs. Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce–not raw)
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- dash of cayenne pepper
- ~~For the raw salsa:
- 1 large, firm vine-ripened tomato, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lime, juiced
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- ⅛-1/4 tsp. salt
- ~~For assembling:
- ½ avocado, chopped
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- To make the taco meat: Place the walnuts into a food processor and pulse a few times. Add the rest of the ingredients and pulse a few more times, just enough so that everything is combined but still has some texture.
- To make the salsa: Toss all of the ingredients into a large bowl and stir to combine. This is best after it’s had time to sit and let the flavors meld (a couple of hours in the fridge would work), but it can also be used immediately.
- To assemble the tacos: Tear off large Romaine leaves for the taco shell. Layer the taco “meat,” salsa, and chopped avocado.
- Serve and enjoy! It’s that easy!