I’ve mentioned a few times in the past (OK, probably close to a million times) how much I love almond butter. It’s like my security blanket–when all else fails, almond butter always hits the spot.
After receiving a package of MaraNatha almond butters and sunflower seed butter in the mail recently and devouring them all in almost no time, I knew it was about time to set to work making a big batch of homemade almond butter. I usually prefer to make my own spreads, but with a crazy schedule and little time for anything but work, those MaraNatha butters were an absolute lifesaver. Better yet, MaraNatha also inspired me to try a new variation of my all-time favorite: Coconut Almond Butter.
Two of my favorite foods together in one delicious package?!? How could the combo not be amazing!!
It just is. I don’t know the specifics behind it but you’ll have to trust me on this one–the combination of almonds and coconut is as magical as unicorns and mermaids. It’s just a scientific fact.
This spread is so magical, in fact, that much of the Coconut Almond Butter magically disappeared during the transfer from my blender to the jar (wink, wink).
And if unicorns and mermaids aren’t scientific enough for you, many doctors and health websites tout almonds and coconut–once avoided for their high fat content–as a beneficial addition to a healthy diet. Almonds are a significant source of manganese, vitamin E, and magnesium, while the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut possess powerful fat-burning and antimicrobial properties.
So not only are they unbelievably tasty, they’re also good for you! I know, I know, everything in moderation, but it’s so hard resist something this good!
- 3 cups almonds (I prefer raw, but roasted will also work)
- ⅔ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbs. coconut nectar or other liquid sweetener (or sub with ¼ tsp. powdered stevia or 8 drops liquid stevia for a sugar-free version)
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor or high-speed blender until smooth. If using a food processor, stop occasionally and scrape down the sides to ensure even blending.
- Store in a sealed container.