Happy (almost) 4th of July!!
I know, I know, it’s not even technically July yet, but what can I say, I love holidays. I’m not always the celebrate-with-decorations type (except for at Christmas time), but I am always the celebrate-with-food type
I know the temperatures have been up around the hundreds for much of the country and that most people will be grilling over the weekend and on the 4th, so I thought I should come up with a cool, sweet, and, dare I say, healthy dessert. Heck, this would even be good for breakfast! Not to mention, it’s red, white, and blue! Yes, I’m such a cheese.
And did I mention that this parfait is also dairy-free and gluten-free?! I even added a note in the recipe about how to make this sugar-free (I tried it both ways and they’re equally delicious).
I must warn you, though: even though this dessert is cool and light, it’s still quite rich, so if you’re the sharing type (which I know can be very hard), then you might want to share this with a family member or a friend. And if you’re really nice, you could even make parfaits for everyone!
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours, rinsed and drained
- ⅓-1/2 cup filtered water
- 2-3 Tbs. raw honey (or 15-20 drops of liquid stevia for a sugar-free version)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ banana, sliced
- 3 Tbs. goji berries (or ¼ cup strawberry slices)
- 3 Tbs. buckwheat groats (preferably soaked and dehydrated)
- blueberries, for topping
- To make the whipped “cream”: Place the cashews, water, honey/stevia, and vanilla extract into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth and fluffy.
- To make the parfait: In a bowl or cup, layer the bananas, goji berries, buckwheat groats, and whipped “cream.” Repeat layers again and top with blueberries.
- Serve immediately or chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.